Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's clinic day!

I walked into suite 210 of the Nelson Clinic and wondered if I was in the correct location. I could hear music, and clapping and singing and shouting. I checked the door - yep, there were the big letters ASK. I followed the chaotic sound back to the fishbowl (that's the treatment room) and found the source of the noise. Nurses were singing, parents were clapping and the kids were playing instruments and I was then informed that anyone who walks in had to dance a solo.

Um. Seriously?

Patient Buttercup took my hand and said "Yep. Dance." So I danced and clapped all the while we sang Jingle Bells and Rudolph. Perfect song selections for a 75 degree day in Richmond.

Buttercup was in for platelets. Patient Caspian was in for a transfusion as was Patient Tiana. But those IV poles didn't keep them down.

Patient Tiana and I discussed the difference between a Big Mac and a Whopper. Patient Caspian informed me that I have no rhythm and should go out to the play room or stop playing the tambourine and Patient Buttercup told me that I really suck at Mario Golf.

Before I knew it, my hour was up and I had to head back to work. Everyone should be so lucky as to have as much fun at lunch as I do on Wednesdays.

1 comment: